Augusta Historical Society (Inc)

Hon. President Ann Edwards
Hon. Secretary Mary Whittall
Hon. Treasurer Mr Bob Jeffery
Address

Augusta Historical Society (Inc)
PO Box 292
Augusta, WA, 6290

Email augustahistsoc@gmail.com
Phone (08) 9758 0465
Region South West
About Affiliate Augusta Historical Society building

In 1967 a group of dedicated and determined volunteers established the Augusta Historical Society as an incorporated body.  Founding members saw the value of collecting artefacts and memorabilia, and worked tirelessly to find land, raise funds and build a Museum to house the collection.  The building was completed in 1979 and the Augusta Museum (pictured above) is now a Recognised  Municipal Museum operated by the Augusta Margaret River Shire Council, staffed entirely by Volunteers.

The collection contains information and artefacts relating to early settlement as well as shipwrecks, timber industry, whaling, the environment, group settlement, commemorative china and textiles. It is a quite amazing collection. In addition to the objects and souvenirs held in the Museum, members of the Society have researched and produced papers primarily relating to the district and its early settlers. This practice continues and has resulted in a collection of some one hundred and twenty papers, oral history interviews and recordings of talks given by guest speakers. This valuable collection, of private papers, recordings, maps, family trees and photographs, may be viewed during the Museum’s opening hours.

The museum is located on Blackwood Avenue in the centre of town  and is open from 1.00pm to 4.00pm daily except Xmas day and Boxing day. Entrance Fees: Adults  $7.50, Seniors $5.00 , Children and Students under 16 years Free.

The Society has 119 members, many of whom meet on the third Thursday of each month (September to May) in the Society Hall adjacent to the Museum.  A highlight in the Society’s calendar is the Annual Dinner held on May 2nd celebrating the arrival of the first settlers to Augusta on May 2nd 1830.