Broomehill Historical Society
Society currently in abeyance
Broomehill Historical Society was officially declared in 1997 and the following year a stone building was erected on the corner of Great Southern Highway and Journal Street – which is now our Museum . The building was officially opened on 20 April 1898 and used as the Agricultural Hall where meetings and dances were held. A room at the rear was added later for Road Board members to meet. At one stage the building housed the Mechanics’ Institute. In 1923 the building was purchased by the Presbyterian Church, the porch was added and regular services were held until the early 1940’s. The brick work was rendered after 1946. The Broomehill Shire Council purchased the building in the late 1960’s and in 1979 it was officially opened as a museum, containing many items of historical interest for Broomehill.
The museum is open by appointment, at long weekends and special events. Volunteers contact numbers are displayed on the front door. To help us maintain our collection, we ask for an entry donation and Broomehill and Holland Track souvenirs are available for sale.
In 1893 Mr R. John Holland (b 1855 – d 1936) cut a direct cart track from Broomehill to the Goldfields which was and is still known as the Holland track