Irwin Districts Historical Society is working to save the district’s former Bond Store (dating from 1894) and subsequently converted to community use as the Denison Hall. The Society has passed a resolution supporting its retention for public use and, in particular, its conversion to a fishing museum, which would be a unique attraction on the west coast.
The Society encourages the exchange of ideas and news within the State's history and heritage community. The more Affiliated Societies share among themselves their successes and failures in preserving, researching, interpreting and making accessible their local histories to the wider community societies, the greater the opportunities for them to use these experiences to expand and improve the way they promote their programs to their members and the public.
Affiliated Societies are invited to take advantage of this facility that the Society has provided to submit news items by completing and submitting the email Affiliated Societies News Form. Items of news could include
- events you have staged such as tours, talks, workshops, exhibitions;
- history and heritage self-guided walks and tours created;
- participating in major community events
- problems overcome with management of collections such as challenges with regard to collection item recording, storage, conservation and displays;
- partnerships created in the local community;
- fundraising successes and failures
- forthcoming events
- details of recent publications
- successful school programs
- creative uses of digital technology
Not only will other Affiliated Societies be interested in what you are doing but other visitors to our website will be fascinated by your contribution and commitment to understanding and preserving Western Australia's history. All this will help to strengthen our voice for history and heritage.