HISTORICAL RESOURCE MATERIALS FOR TEACHING HISTORY
“HISTORY IN A SUITCASE”
- The Society has developed a History in a Suitcase Program which brings parts of our State’s history into the primary school classroom and which fits in with the HaSS Scope & Sequence for these Years. Students gain a hands-on experience of objects which our forebears used in their everyday lives. And teachers are provided with notes to ensure the immersive activities work well and students benefit from the learning.
- A Suitcase has been developed for students in Years 1 to 3 and contains 10 items which were in everyday use, picture cards with teacher notes as well as several A3 photographs of early life in Western Australia.
- A similar Suitcase with 9 items has been developed for students in Years 4 to 6.
- Suitcases are available for loan from the Society for a period of two weeks. Teachers should contact the Society’s Administration on 9386 3841 to make a booking.
- The Suitcase will be delivered to the School and signed for on receipt. It will be checked and collected at the end of the loan period.
- If considered appropriate a member of the Society is available to attend when the teacher gives a presentation on the Suitcase to their class. Members have the appropriate Working with Children accreditation.
- Members of the Society have a great deal of WA history knowledge and access to a broad range of information and history artifacts. They welcome inquiries from teachers.
- As an alternative approach or as a preliminary ‘taster’ for the Suitcases, their contents and notes can be downloaded as a screen presentation. For Years 1-3 Suitcase click here. For Years 4-6 Suitcase click here.
For further information email email@example.com or call Lesley on 93863841
Suitcase Years 1 - 3
Suitcase Years 4 - 6