The Library collection of the Royal Western Australian Historical Society consists of material that deals specifically with Western Australia and its history. It is a reference library and items are not for loan. Much of the material in the collection has been donated to the Society. If you have items to discard that might be useful to and enhance the Library’s collections, please contact the Library (contact details above).
The collection includes:
- Books and journals
- Maps of Western Australian regions and towns, early subdivision maps and real estate posters
- Limited holdings of early newspapers, such as the Perth Gazette, the Inquirer and Western Mail
- Documents, including early letters, pamphlets and ephemera
- Newspaper cuttings, clipped currently and filed by subject
- Essays submitted for various competitions
- Private papers of individuals and organizations, documented and indexed
- Early Days, the annual scholarly publication of the Society
The Library’s catalogue is online. It can be accessed via the Society’s website at the Research Western Australian History page
You are invited to visit the Library or this Library Research Enquiry Form.
Library is free to members. Non-members of the Society are charged a fee of $5.50 and institutions are charged $22.00 to use the collections. Fees are also charged for copying of documents and images.
Donations to the Library collection are welcome. If you would like to donate items please contact the Library.
Donations are assessed by the RWAHS Library committee to ensure that they are suitable for the collection and can be appropriately housed and managed by the Society.